Introduction to Energy, Environment, and Sustainability
The NEW 3rd edition of Introduction to Energy, Environment and Sustainability is organized into ten (10) sequential chapters and is designed for a single academic term for an entry-level college/university course. Introduction to Energy, Environment and Sustainability aims to cover these complex, interconnected challenges through concise and accessible descriptions of science and technology at the heart of modern human society.
- Chapter 1 presents an overview of human society, population, consumption (life-cycle analysis) and environmental impacts.
- Chapter 2 introduces the basics of energy, its forms, sources and uses (conversions), as well as its metrics.
- Chapter 3 explores Earth system science, biogeochemical cycles and climate dynamics.
- Chapter 4 reviews the basics of combustion (fire), its utility since the Industrial Revolution, and its environmental impacts, focusing on anthropogenic (human-forced) global climate destabilization.
- Chapter 5 discusses non-renewable energy sources (fossil fuels) and related exploration, production, and conversion technologies, such as "fracking" and refining.
- Chapter 6 covers atomic energy basics and nuclear energy technologies.
- Chapter 7 overviews renewable energy sources and conversion technologies.
- Chapter 8 introduces basic concepts of electricity and hydrogen, as well as related infrastructures.
- Chapter 9 considers contemporary issues surrounding food and water systems and their security in a warming world.
- Chapter 10 concludes with reflections on science, sustainability, and globalizing human society.
End-of-chapter homework/quizzes aim to facilitate comprehension, and can be easily adapted for homework assignments and exams.
Accompanying this third edition for instructors is an updated website with sample course syllabi, lecture slides, solution to end-of-chapter homework/quizzes, suggested classroom demonstrations and activities and sample multiple-choice exams.
We would LOVE it if you could help us and other readers by reviewing the book