Clinical Simulations for the Advanced Practice Nurse: A Comprehensive Guide for Faculty, Students, and Simulation Staff
Provides high-quality, comprehensive simulation cases for APRNs
This invaluable resource is the first simulation guide designed specifically to support the training and evaluation of advanced practice nursing students, novice nurse practitioners, and advanced practice nurses transitioning to new fields. This book provides a method and foundation to transform graduate nursing education to competency-based clinical evaluation, empowering programs with standardized templates and interprofessional education options for each case to advance graduate simulation education and research.
This comprehensive guide delivers more than 50 comprehensive case scenarios, written by experienced APRNs, faculty, and simulation specialists. Scenarios are arranged by APRN specialty with applications for students, faculty, standardized patients, staff development and simulation staff who prepare the advanced practice nurse and their interprofessional team for clinical expertise. Not only is this text easy for faculty to use and implement, it also includes several levels of application and offers strategies for adapting scenarios to an interprofessional setting.
Each simulation is structured into a consistent template for ease of use and includes a description, objectives, equipment needed, pre-briefing, debriefing, and interprofessional considerations. Additionally, each scenario includes a one-page download designed for the Simulation Team focusing on “what happens” in a particular scenario. These comprehensive simulations encompass a wide variety of valid health and mental health scenarios across the lifespan and include telehealth, critical care transport, and retail scenarios.
Three detailed sections dedicated to APRN students, faculty and simulation staff are provided with timely topics as well as sound advice from recent graduates, faculty experts, and leaders in the simulation field. The section for students provides anticipatory guidance for novice practitioners on how best to prepare for formative and summative evaluations, standardized patient interactions, high stakes simulation testing, and interprofessional experiences. The section for faculty provides practical information on how to design engaging simulation experiences for the APRN, and suggestions on mapping the various modes of simulation experiences to the levels and competencies. A detailed section directed at the simulations team covers operations and management of the environment, personnel, equipment, and resources.
- Provides 10 Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE) standard scenarios for general advanced practice assessment
- Contains more than 50 comprehensive simulation scenarios, arranged by APRN specialty for formative, summative, and high stakes testing and competency evaluations
- Consistent with INASCL and SSH Simulation Standards of Best Practice and NLN Simulation Theory by Pamela Jeffries
- Maps simulation experiences to APRN learner levels and AACN competencies
- Includes separate sections tailored towards APRN students, APRN faculty and staff development, and the simulation operational team
- Delineates and provides hyperlinks for suggested learner preparation and the most up to date references to support each scenario
We would LOVE it if you could help us and other readers by reviewing the book