Keep It R.E.A.L.!: Relevant, Engaging, and Affirming Literacy for Adolescent English Learners
This book introduces a set of pedagogical practices designed to assist adolescent English learners in developing their English skills in a way that honors and leverages their native languages and cultures.
Responding to the linguistic and educational diversity of adolescents, the R.E.A.L. (Relevant, Engaging, and Affirming Literacy) method offers teachers a range of scalable activities, reading lists, and other resources, along with numerous suggestions on how to adapt them for students’ particular needs. By sharing experiences from actual secondary English classes, Stewart presents diverse learners making meaningful connections to texts and responding through writing, speaking, and other artistic means. These students are developing high levels of literacy, English language skills, and even biliteracy through R.E.A.L. instruction that all English teachers can use.
- Shows educators how to effectively engage middle and high school students through reading and responding to literature.
- Provides creative solutions for centering students’ needs and interests within standards and other curricular restraints.
- Brings together theory from reader response, second language acquisition, and bilingual research.
- Written for all English language arts teachers and for all levels of adolescent ELs―beginners to advanced students.
- Considers ELs’ full literacy development in all of their languages, not just English.
We would LOVE it if you could help us and other readers by reviewing the book