Gardening For Dummies (For Dummies (Computer/Tech))
Gardening is one of the most popular, least exclusive hobbies of all. Everybody can garden. Gardening is good for the body; an hour or two of daily yardwork provides just the right kind of light exercise we all need. Responsible gardening also does good things for the environment: materials get recycled, and empty lots become community gardens. Gardening also can boost your mental health; it delights the eye and fuels the soul with a connection to the earth.
Even if you've never repotted a plant, you have the heart of a gardener if you love the taste of garden tomatoes or close your eyes when you sniff a blossom. Gardening For Dummies, 2nd Edition, will help novices get off to a solid start and help seasoned gardeners broaden their breadth of knowledge.
This book is for you if you want to
- Create a garden for the first time
- Know how to mow your lawn the right way
- Find out which bugs are eating up your plants
- Determine when and how much to water your garden
- Attract birds, bees, and butterflies to your yard
- Grow your own herbs and vegetables
Find your way around the garden center by knowing which soil amendments to buy, which tools to use, which plants to choose, and how to use pest controls. You can turn that brown thumb into a green one by exploring these other topics:
- Creating a landscape design: Know what you have; define areas and flow
- Exploring annuals, perennials, bulbs, and vines: Choose healthy plants; water and feed for longevity
- Buying and planting roses: Understand classifications, pruning methods, and winterizing
- Putting in a new lawn: Buy seed; remove sod; explore mowers and trimmers
- Planting seedlings, trees, and shrubs: Transplant from cell packs and larger containers; get bare-root or balled-and-burlapped plants into the ground
- Pruning and propagating: Understand the purpose; look at tools, techniques
- Dealing with weeds and disease: Identify damage; control spread
Gardening For Dummies, 2nd Edition, offers a slew of lists, illustrations, and color photographs to guide you as you garden. No matter what size your planting area, from sunny windowsill to patio to yard, you can nurture and grow a glorious garden.
We would LOVE it if you could help us and other readers by reviewing the book