Burt and Eklund’s Dentistry, Dental Practice, and the Community
Learn about the challenges, current trends, and the positive role that you can play in improving the dental health of the community. Completely revised and updated by members of the American Association of Public Health Dentistry, Burt and Eklund's Dentistry, Dental Practice, and the Community, 7th Edition presents dentistry and dental practice against the ever-changing backdrop of economic, technological, and demographic trends, as well as the distribution of the oral diseases that dental professionals treat and prevent. Readers will learn the latest techniques of research and measurement, and how oral disease may be limited through control and prevention. This updated text also addresses the new educational competencies for predoctoral/ post-doctoral dental students and dental hygiene students with updated and new content on cultural competency, oral health literacy, social responsibility, motivational interviewing, and oral systemic associations. All in all, this text takes a comprehensive look at the social context of dental care and the difference you can make in improving the health of the community you serve.
- Logical four-part organization divides content into dentistry and the community; dental care delivery; methods and measurement of oral diseases and conditions; and health promotion and prevention of oral diseases.
- A focus on need-to-know content emphasizes the important core information while providing comprehensive coverage of dental public health.
- Comprehensive analysis of dentistry’s social and professional role examines issues such as epidemiology of oral diseases, prevention, and the provision of care.
- Evidence-based recommendations reflect the latest literature on today’s public health issues.
- Illustrations, tables, and graphics illustrate the key material and visually enhance discussions.
- NEW! Completely revised and updated content looks at populations oral health and dental care as well as how it fits into a changing world.
- NEW! Coverage of new educational competencies provides predoctoral/ post-doctoral dental students and dental hygiene studentswith updated and new content on cultural competency, oral health literacy, social responsibility, motivational interviewing, and oral systemic associations.
- NEW! New chapters cover the applications of epidemiology and biostatistics in dental public health, oral health as it related to quality of life, oral health education, health literacy, social determinants of health and health disparities, and delivery of oral healthcare in Canada.
- NEW! Newly revised competencies for the Dental Public Health specialty are incorporated throughout the book.
We would LOVE it if you could help us and other readers by reviewing the book